Friday, January 22, 2016

Everything in the right place: the return of Radiohead – Strobe

Five years after The King of Limbs , Thom Yorke and company are back.

I awoke to good news on email. It was raining, but there got up and left home to buy two tickets for the second day of the US Alive. If all goes well, I’ll see my favorite band live for the third time on July 8

I do not mean Father John Misty, Courtney Barnett, Hot Chip, Years & amp.; Years, Tame Impala or Foals. I speak of course of Radiohead. They are the only band that would do something like this – there was not really need to buy ever the tickets, but it was stronger than me

My story with. Radiohead

When I started listening to Radiohead since they had released Hail To The Thief in 2003, so one can say that I arrived too late.

A few days ago, a friend commented on Facebook, concerning the death of David Bowie, who 1.Outside , 1995, was his first album you bought: “It was a late bloomer. And they know what they say about converts who start late: they are the most fanatical “I do not know if it’s that simple, but it is certain that I identified with it.. Is that my relationship with the music of Radiohead is similar

I remember the time it took me to get to hear them compulsively and is a ridiculous bit:. Was on a bus in Lisbon with two colleagues, one of them began to sing “But I’m a creep, I’m a weirdo” and I got the music in his head. I had to go hear it. And then the rest of Pablo Honey . And for months I plunged deep into The Bends and OK Computer . Also jumped to Hail To The Thief because it was not yet time to lose myself in Kid A and Amnesiac . And also remember the moment Kid A clicked. Put the album to play at a bus trip to the Alentejo and after “Everything In Its Right Place”, which has told me enough at the time, he started the music that lends the title to the album “Kid A”. I do not know if it was the context, it is something else, but something happened. And ready, was lost to the world. Also surrendered to Kid A and Amnesiac , I left for the hard drugs of musical consumption: B-sides, unedited themes and of course bootlegs.

However I had started to buy records. My idea was to buy the (then) six albums and three EPs – this would be my collection of Radiohead. Oh, but I was mistaken. 12 and 141 disks later, I can say with some confidence that the initial estimate ended up hitting a bit on the side.

In 2008, I was working at the Rock In Rio when I decided I was a bit stupid to be a Radiohead concert in Barcelona, ​​have tickets and I did not go. Then I spend the eve of Saint Anthony the Daydream Festival in the Parc del Fòrum – which is also where usually follows the Catalan version of Primavera Sound. Alone and surrounded by Spanish (in this sense, was very similar to the Portuguese festivals), I can not complain about the concert: they played all the songs of In Rainbows and I could still hear “The Bends”, ” Paranoid Android “,” Idioteque “and” Planet Telex “close.

I went to see them at Optimus Alive in 2012 and remained a live portent. But we already know: do not touch “Creep”, very touching little of The Bends – closed with the magnificent “Street Spirit (Fade Out)” – and if they want to hear “Karma Police” need be lucky (I had). Join him the fact that Radiohead are to promote The King Of Limbs , probably the worst album following the band to Pablo Honey . Some people do not react well to that. As for me … I want there to know.



What can we expect from Radiohead in 2016?

We are in 2016 (the future!) And already spend almost five years since The King Of Limbs disappointed me a bit. But hope is renewed with each new song, studio photo or published news.

He began to be reasons, yet in September 2014, to assume that there came a new album of Radiohead. Thom Yorke and company were not properly active on the Web or in specialized areas but were publishing studio photos and giving either interview in which he spoke of the matter. When Jonny Greenwood addressed, for example, the possibility of the band go back to pick up on “Lift” – a gem played sometimes live in the mid-90s and, in a different version premiered in a concert in Lisbon at the beginning of the millennium – the news cheered some fans.

However, there were two events that contributed more decisively to the idea that we are entitled to a new album of Radiohead in 2016.

The first was a beautiful gift called “Spectre” who left us in stocking on Christmas morning – to the music composed for Spectre , the latest film from franchise 007, which turned out stay out

The second event actually preceded the first, but the news only emerged a few days ago:. Radiohead created a new company in October. Why is this relevant? Why did so before the release of In Rainbows and The King of Limbs .

Since Radiohead released In Rainbows just an overnight in 2007 that it is rare to be known a lot about one album before release. But at the time, though, the band had done a full tour new songs shortly before, which gave some clues. It did not happen the same with The King Of Limbs , and unless the new album only be edited in the second half (or later), it is likely that long-term Radiohead ninth skirt the street without large previews.

Among the eligible subjects for the new album are “Skirting On The Surface” and “Identikit”, for example. . Especially the last

Moreover, little is known, but one thing is almost certain: when you touch the 8 July at the 10th US Alive, Radiohead will perform new music and who are expecting “Creep” has to be aware that the possibility exists, but it’s like winning the lottery:. is not going to happen us

But my EuroMillions is another.

LikeTweet

No comments:

Post a Comment