Friday, October 16, 2015

David Fonseca to swab: “The most interesting thing in life is to come” – Swab

David Fonseca today launches its new album, “Future I,” the first completely sung in Portuguese. With nearly two decades of career, David Fonseca always accustomed us to songs in English. The Leiriense musician who had just dedicated to themes in Portuguese collaboration in the draft tribute to Anthony Variations, Human, now made a whole album with 11 new songs, all sung in Portuguese. ‘Future Self’, ‘Today I Am Not’ and ‘Call Me That I Will “are the singles already presented. A “fault” was the grandparents’ house, as told Swab .

Your new album, “Future I” introduces an innovative aspect or a break in relation to the work you have done here: is sung in Portuguese. In the light of all, why this decision?
This was a very specific point of my life, in which the Silence 4 gave those concerts for the Portuguese League Against Cancer, and I had to return to the past to do. I read a lot wrong with nostalgia, never wanted to look back, always preferred sincerely look forward because I think the more interesting in life is always to come. Still I thought we should do the concerts, especially for very personal reasons that led me to do it and loved it. The problem stood in the fact that we have to rehearse all the songs which, for those who are not very accustomed to rummage in the past, requires a little balance things out. We started rehearsals in December 2013, on Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays. On Wednesday night I took the car and went to my grandparents’ house in Peniche, which was looking to do something that had nothing to do with what he had just done, or walked to see what I could do , a song … one of these days I say a phrase in Portuguese that makes me feel a thrill but it was four and this morning and thought singing in Portuguese was not very good. The next day when I went to see what he had done, I realized that this was by far the best idea. After eight months had 40 songs. I spent months to go to the house and that’s how the album began to emerge. It was also a challenge for me.

Musically, the album returns to electronic or have other sounds?
Some things yes but others are more acoustic. The disc instrumentation is all simpler. For the first time it happened, when we got to the mixing console, we took much more than acrescentávamos. I’ve been recording things for weeks that do not appear in the final result and it was hard for me because I like many instruments! (laughs)

The videos are also being made for you. As being the experience?
A crazy! Sometimes I regret having had this idea! (laughs) Some really like to do; I have an idea, put into practice and results. This time, my idea for the ‘Call Me That I’ll’, was to make a timeline like an Instagram for video with different and surreal situations. I was more than a month to make this video and repented half. I thought, “This video is the dumbest ever!”. I thought this because I filmed many things, simple and homely way, but turned out to be the favorite thing … is an explosion of situations, it is very strange (laughs).

Also in ábum , why this cover where you appear to hold an apple?
There are four different covers for the “Future I” because the future is unknown and I thought I should have four chances to not always be the same person. This, the apple, is very simple: is the connection to Adam to bite the apple for the first time that’s what I do with the Portuguese, that’s the analogy. It’s kind of a sin I’ll commit to crack this first apple to see what happens.

It’s funny because on the one hand, you take advantage of social networks for you present new singles but on the other it has released a few albums on vinyl and this, moreover, a giríssima edition in red. It’s hard to pick just one approach, the more techy or a more vintage?
I am an old person accordingly. When I started to do things in this industry, the disk still had this form, this value as an object. Over time-up was missing this value because pesssoas spent listening to all stream therefore the vinyl englobo the old idea of ​​having the subject and listening to music in this way. And then because it’s absolutely gorgeous. I am very proud of this edition, the cover is especially beautiful in the vinyl edition.

In your previous job you tell in collaboration with Malú and Luisa Sobral and now comes Marcia in ‘Lets Be’ . How did this collaboration come about?
We have known each other for some time, she is married to a friend of mine, I started to have dinner there the house and one day she asks me if I do not want to do the album cover it. I said yes, provided it accepted to do a song for my record. She said yes and ready, we made an exchange. It was a very simple thing. Like her a lot, genuinely, and these things have to work first so, by an admiration we have for a certain person, so it is fortunate to have her on the disc and on top is one of the themes I like most, the ‘Lets Be’.

Referring to the past, that just spoke, I am reminding me of that habit before there was much that of a group of friends, make a long journey car, listening to an album from one end to the other. If this happens, with the “Future I” for the soundtrack, which was the destination you liked this group of friends drove?
It had to be a sea of ​​destination. As the album was all done in Peniche, with the sea always present, the connection to this universe of the sea and the coast had to be present. But it had to be a journey towards a stormy sea, with the elements of nature around us always against us. That puts us in place and makes us better understand where we are, more realistically, with his feet on the ground.

Daniela Azevedo

LikeTweet

No comments:

Post a Comment