Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Joe Cocker, the singer who changed paradigms of interpretation in … – Diário do Grande ABC

The English singer Joe Cocker, one of the greatest interpreters of international modern music, died on Monday, 22, at 70, at his home in Crawford, Colorado. He had lung cancer. The death was confirmed by his agent, Barrie Marshall.

He became universally known to sing a version of With a Little Help From my Friends, the Beatles, the Woodstock Festival in 1969. Her husky voice his tragic style and his searing interpretation created new paradigms for interpretation in pop music. “I do not know why I chose With a Little Help From My Friends – I wanted a well-known and a half to squeeze her, drew was the last number of the show and felt that we had in communicating with someone,” he said of the song the designed world.

In 1975, another interpretation of it, You Are So Beautiful, became new planetary hit, and in 1983 he won a Grammy for the single Up Where We Belong, a duet with Jennifer Warnes. In 2007, he received a commendation from the British government at Buckingham Palace for his contribution to music.

His last trip to Brazil was in 2012, when he came to 5000 people in Vila Olimpia. Then there were 21 who did not sing here (was at Rock in Rio in 1991) and came with a band that included a keyboardist, organist, guitarist, drummer, bassist and two singers phenomenal support (Nichelle Tillman and Andrick Brown). He sang two songs on the album that launched that year, the last, Hard Knocks, and moreover sent a parade of hits: Unchain My Heart (Ray Charles made famous), You Can Leave Your Hat On, Cry Me A River, Feeling Alright , Shelter Me, You Are So Beautiful, Unforgiven, among others.

His show was basically a personal transfiguration of the soul and blues, but there was also a funky condiment that electrified the audience, and he printed the special songs like Come Together by The Beatles. Left in Brazil a sense of collective ecstasy, people left the show with ear to ear smiles of satisfaction, that glorious way of who is satiated, but not empapuçado.

Musically, Joe Cocker learned lessons from the soul , the disco, jazz, blues, and all that attended in his amalgam. “I loved James Brown.

We did a tour together in Europe just before he died, with an orchestra, and both were in the program. Every night he came to my show and we shared the microphone. I think every singer of R & B US has a debt to James Brown, and I have a debt to Ray Charles and also with Marvin Gaye, “he said, told O Estado de S. Paul .

It was not just the ballads he unraveled fiber by fiber. The voice of Joe Cocker could encompass anything from Honky Tonk Women (Rolling Stones) the Feelin? Alright (of Traffic). He sang Could You Be Love, Bob Marley’s reggae, and Don? T Let Me Be Misunderstood, which was hit the disco era with Boney M .; besides grinding Can? t Find My Way Home, success Traffic, also animated the yuppie track of the film 9 1/2 Weeks of Love with You Can Leave Your Hat On. “Even though he’s an English boy from Sheffield, of 24 years, his voice is that of a middle-aged southern black “, amazed if a music critic to see him sing for the first time.

It influenced later artists who have nothing ordinary, as Bryan Adams, the Canadian KD Lang, the guitarist Deborah Coleman and even contemporaries like Dr. John and Van Morrison. Joe, on stage, conveyed the idea of ​​a journey of no return, a great adventure for the soul. “When I interpret songs like You? Re So Beautiful, my proposal is reinvent it every night. That’s interpretation, bring excitement to your voice. I have a good band, you know what I want. If I’m still singing after 45 years, it is because maybe I can turn a song into something special. I try to communicate a feeling through a song, which is not easy, “he said.

Born John Robert Cocker, had serious problems with drugs at the time of the counterculture, problems increased with the abuse of alcoholic substances. “There was rehab in my time No one came to me and said,. ” Joe, you need to stop it, ” he said, also in an interview with newspaper

He said he never tried to approach. the mystery that has become so intimate of the American songbook, even having been born so far from the Mississippi. “I never tried to understand this, but I’m North of England. I mean, the Beatles were from Liverpool, which is not so far from Sheffield. There, we were very influenced by the Chicago blues. I think I carried that with me in my voice. Love Ray Charles, Muddy Waters, Sonny Boy Williamson. I am a ” bluesband guy ‘. “

                 Heads Up! The site reviews via Facebook! Remember that the comment is entirely the author and do not express the opinion of the newspaper. Comments that violate the law, morals and good customs or violate rights of third parties may be reported by users and your account may be banned.
             

LikeTweet

No comments:

Post a Comment