Sunday, June 26, 2016

Jamie Cullum. “Britain must be a country of compassion and inclusion” – Express

At 36, Jamie Cullum is useiro and vezeiro national stage, where he worked for numerous times and assures us once again feel always welcomed.

We caught it on a Tuesday morning aboard a taxi and the way the studio where he records the jazz radio program heard more in Europe.

where do we find this morning? in
the back seat of a taxi, the studio way. I have done music for films and a TV show, which will debut later this year or early next. At the same time, I am working on my own album, which will consist of original songs.

Do you have any idea when the album will be released?
I wish to know! And my manager further. I will continue to make music until you feel you’ve got what I need; I’m trying to change the process. World gets new music all the time – I want my have the necessary intensity

What will show the Cascais Groove Festival
will be a reflection.? everything I’ve been doing the last 12 years. I’ll play some new things and songs that no longer present for a long time. But the big favorites, those people know.

Choose the alignments in advance?
Never! That’s why we have so many songs rehearsed, because neither the band know what I’m going to play. Never have no idea what I’ll do, which makes the most unusual things than those concerts where everyone knows what is going to happen.

Do you have a project with his musicians called Song Society, which is dedicated to build versions in one hour. How does it work?
How should know, I always liked to play the songs of others. The musicians who accompany me interested in learning this process, and it is curious: [I realized that] I am always learning, to learn to play the songs of others. I am a student, and the more we study, the better we as songwriters. Sometimes caught in songs that do not like, or do not realize, as the top 40 successes, Justin Bieber and the like. And then we have one hour. In other words, we hear the song, learn to play it and we have to record it before the time comes to an end, not to get too polished or perfect. We also shot some of these sessions and videos [available on YouTube] have become very popular with my fans and even those who are not fans. And the artists whose songs touch.

What is the latest version that made?
The last was Mike Posner, ‘I Took the Pill in Ibiza’. And we can do it in 20 minutes! Neither we needed to spend all the time.

It also presented a radio program dedicated to jazz on BBC 2. How do you feel in this role?
program has six. They told me that I had anything of radio, because he was always praising the music of others, and challenged me: why do not you try? Six years later, the program continues. It seems a natural part of my personality: to share music that way

It’s been a challenge to prepare alignments or choose the guests.? There have passed Lars Ulrich, Metallica, Paul McCartney or …
I love the weekly radio programs is that the program has to be done. For example, today I will write it, that’s why I’m the studio way. And my guests will be Ben Folds Five, because Ben is [in London] and I love his music. Things happen usually very improvised

In his latest album, “Interlude”, invited Laura Mvula and Gregory Porter.? Are singers who admire
No doubt! And his participation in the album was a direct reflection of the radio program, where I began to spend your disks.

Will 37 years in August. Think, for his jovial attitude, continue to regard it as a kid?
I think it does, yes. But when we have children, there is an immediate change. My impression is that people still think I’m in their 20s, but, to have children, I already feel old and say things of old. In general, I already feel adult

Do you find yourself saying things that your parents told you
Yes, and roll my eyes and think.? not I believe I’m saying this! [Laughs]

You came to Portugal numerous times. What are your best memories of the country, offstage?
No doubt the food, the beaches, the surf. And the most important thing for me in Portugal, which are the people. In the band to have a joke about Portugal because once we made a tour of the UK with dates all exhausted, and all very loving and educated people. When we finished this tour, we leave directly from Manchester to Portugal and when we entered the stage, the sound that the audience did was much higher than in all the concerts in the UK. For a musician, have a reception so is immensely rewarding! Completely amazing.

What is your position on the referendum Brexit [whose result will be known when the magazine hits the newsstands]?
I am a passionate pro-European and I think it will be a disgrace if we decide to leave Europe. The only thing I can say is that I think would not last long. Maybe three or four years, at the end of which probably we returned. Britain must be a country of compassion and inclusion, opening its wings and causing Europe to be good for us and good for us it. I’ll be devastated if the ‘no’ win.

Two years ago, participated in the version of the BBC organized ‘God Only Knows’, the Beach Boys. Brian Wilson took the opportunity to see this year, recalling “Pet Sounds”?
Unfortunately, it was to give a concert, but I have had the opportunity to play with him once, and met him. It was like knowing Jesus Christ! [Laughs]

LikeTweet

No comments:

Post a Comment