Monday, December 26, 2016

George Michael: an inspiration to the LGBT community – the Daily News – Lisbon

The musician has publicly homosexuality after being detained in a bathroom in Los Angeles and, since then, this subject ceased to be taboo to him.

George Michael took over his homosexuality following the arrest, in April 1998, for “indecent assault” – allegedly for having tried to seduce a police in plain clothes in a bathroom in Beverly Hills, Los Angeles, USA. Was fined and sentenced to 80 hours of community service for this incident that gave rise to the original title of the tabloid English Sun: “Zip Me Up Before You Go Go”.

later, the musician would say: “I Never had any moral problems to be gay. I thought that I was in love with a woman a few times. After that, I fell in love with a man and realized that none of those things had been love.” The sex has always been present in his music, or more explicitly as in I Want Your Sex (which came to be censored in some radio stations in the United States), or by innuendo. Even if you do not know at the time, it is hard not to see Fredoom 90 as a song of pride for what if is. And even Wham!, at the same time that many girls if apaixonavam by those two singers shorts short there were plenty of young men who identified with that joy pop and the complicity revealed by the two musicians.

later, in an interview in 2007, George Michael explained that he had kept his sexuality a secret because of his mother: “my mother was still alive and would have been a nightmare for her to imagine that I could catch Aids” – this, he explains, was the greatest fear among homosexuals in the late 1980′s and early 1990′s. “But I had already given to many people since 19 years. I would like to have it done publicly so. I think that would not have had the same career – my ego would not have been satisfied in some aspects – but it would have been a much happier man.”

The musician admitted that the death of his companion, the designer Anselmo Faleppa, with a disease related with Aids in 1993 led to a period of great depression. The theme of Jesus to a Child speaks of this terrible loss: “I Had my first relationship at 27 years old because up to the age of 24 still had not solved truly my sexuality. I lost my partner to HIV and it took me three years to do the mourning. After I lost my mom [in 1997]. I felt almost as if I was cursed.”

The episode in the bathroom of the Beverly Hills forced him to “come out of the closet” without any premeditation but George Michael had to deal with the fact that in the best possible way. Turned out to satirize the arrest in the video for Outside (and in the letter which said, among other things, “there’s nothing here but flesh and bone”, that is, we are all the same, flesh and bone, with the same desires of the flesh), and since then, George Michael has given the face and voice for various awareness campaigns for HIV.

And also did not hide their passions. Had a relationship of almost 13 years, Kenny Goss (which ended in 2009), to whom, then, will have written the song Where I Hope You Are. And since then spoke always openly and frankly about the subject, sometimes even being deliberately provocative, admitting that he enjoyed sex anonymous and without commitments. Or, in 2011, when the musician wrote on his Twitter: “I Never asked and I’ll never apologize for my life or sex life. Gay sex is natural, gay sex is good. Not all do, but… ha ha!”

Realizing the opening of the musician, the comedian Ricky Gervais has invited you more than once to participate in the sketches where homosexuality was not taboo: See this example, when Gervais received the award for best actor in the British Comedy Awards:

In The Guardian, today, Owen Jones does not hesitate to call him a “gay icon” and remembers that in the year George Michael has spoken publicly of his homosexuality almost half of british people felt that these relationships were “wrong”. The fact that a public figure with the dimension of George Michael to discuss the topic without taboos can, effectively, have made a difference to the young people who were struggling with the difficult social acceptance of homosexuality, ” writes the chronicler.

For all this, so that if he learned of the death of the musician, on the night of 25 December, began to appear on social networks reactions of associations for the defense of LGBT rights, such as Stonewall, which has released a Tweet saying “R. I. P. George Michael. You inspired a lot and your music will continue to live in the hearts of our community.” Robbie dos Santos, one of the leaders of Stonewall, was even clearer: “You were the soundtrack of so many moments, and your visibility and pride helped the kids with LGBT from the 90s, like me, to realize that they were not alone.” This feeling of gratitude can be found in a lot of messages from fans anonymous placed during the day on social networks.

LikeTweet

No comments:

Post a Comment